Explore our extensive Academic Letter Writing Guide now Many students find that academic letter writing is a difficult to write assignment as there are a lot of aspects that must be included. Below you will find well-written academic letter sample.
Academic letters are also called academic covers letters. The academic letters are submitted when the person wants to apply for a job at university or college. There is a great difference between business cover letter and academic cover letter, and this article is presents the writing style, format and guide.
Academic cover letters are longer than traditional cover letter, taking approximately up to 2 pages. They tend to present research detail and teaching goals of the applicant. There is also a difference in the types of academic cover letters according to the institution they are addressed to. For example, liberal arts colleges and community colleges have different requirements and goal for academic letter writing. That is why you will need to shape your cover letter accordingly and the tips presented below will help you to do that successfully.
CV and Cover Letter Writing Strategy
- Start putting a cover letter and CV together even if some position does not appeal to you.
- When you have these documents, you will only need to update them in case of finding and fitting the job that interests you the most.
- In addition, you will be able to get the comments from the professors before facing the pressure of actual deadlines.
Did you Know we can Write your Essay for You?
Know Your Department Well
Before you start writing an academic cover letter, you should find out the type of the institution you apply to. It can be teaching oriented, research oriented or even both:
- Learn what the student body is in terms of background, diversity and common interests.
- Learn all the possible information about the faculty, their research interests, their scientific achievements and the degrees they offer.
- Find out what classes the department offers, the regularity of special courses, the books that are used for teaching and the format of lessons they have: seminars, lectures and coursework projects.
- You can find this information while checking college website, revising the college catalogues, academic directories or syllabi.
- Asking questions is also a good way to find information about the educational institution you intend to enter.
General Letter Writing Tips
It is advised to address your academic letter to a specific person. Make a small research and find out the name of the department chair or committee leader.
Apply for the desired position beforehand. There are more chances that your information will get a thorough overview if it comes before the deadline or final inundation. Statistics says that most academic cover letters receive not more than 30 seconds per review.
Send only the documents that are requested by the committee, but mention that you are willing to furnish your application with additional materials, for example syllabi sample, writing sample or any other documents from the courses you have attended or any other envision teaching. If you do not have any additional documents ready, you can inform that you are prepared to furnish any materials upon committee request.
Try to refer to the most important information in your CV. It is advised to point out to the most significant parts of your CV. It is respectful and actually very acceptable. It would be your great mistake if you assume that the research committee will make sense of everything in your CV on their own.
Ask for the sample cover letter and CV of recent colleagues. Ask a different people to proofread the academic cover letter you are going to apply with.